
Frida Kahlo was a mexican painter born july 6th 1907. Though her life was turbulent at times she did experience success with her artwork. Her real recognition came after the end of her life in 1954. Her paintings were something unique of her time and is what gave her notoriety. In 2002 Frida's life was depicted in the movie "Frida". The movie brought new meaning of her art to me personally because now i was able to visualize what convinced her to paint what she did.
In the movie you learn that Frida was a believer that women were just as capable as men. Throughout the movie she challenges the typical looks of a women and their roles. She fashioned a unibrow and once dressed as a man in a family picture. Frida being in a bus accident was confined to a body cast and was unable to move which is when her artistic abilities began to flourish. After recovering, Frida was able to walk again and met her soon to be husband Diego rivera a fellow artist. They marry and do not have the easiest life as a couple. They travel to New York City in order for Diego to paint a mural at Rockfeller center but because of confronting ideas his mural was taken down. While in New York Frida has relations with women while in N.Y.C. and experiences a miscarriage. She then returns to mexico for her mother funeral and leaves Diego because his mounting infidelity peaks when he sleeps with her her sister forcing their departure from one another. Soon after Frida has an affair with Alexander Trotsky, remarries Diego and once again becomes disabled after the amputation of her foot and eventually dies.
Frida's paintings were based in surrealism. She took event in life to feed her paintings. As her life progresses it is clearly evident of the hardships she endured. Her art was challenging at her time and was what made her so different and admired. Out of all of her work I find the paiting "My Birth" to be such a stimulating image that shows the pain Frida felt. To some it might be somewhat disguisting but they need to realize the misery she faced.I Think the movie shows the real truth of Frida's life and one is able to sympathize with the troubled artist. I like the way it was directed and found it enjoyable to watch.


Jay,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you on the fact that Frida showed some masculinity. I personally think that it was to be different from other people. She did not want to be like everyone else. Her unibrow definitely made her different from the rest. Like you, I enjoyed the movie very much. One of the best movies I've watched in a long time.
-Diana
I agree with you that Frida's paintings actuallt brought new meaning of her art because we can visualize what convinced her to paint what she had to go through those diffcult times. I love her meanings tht was hidden behind her paintings but not the actually work.
ReplyDeletejay, I so agree with you. She didnt want to be like anyone else and with her painting she felt good about herself. Just like you said her paintings were unique and she really enjoyed painting. I enjoyed the movie as well as you did and I havent seen a movie like that in forever.
ReplyDelete-muah
Excellent interpretation. The picture you posted of her epitomizes everything about her.
ReplyDeleteGrade: 4/4