Monday, March 2, 2009

For the love of music

What makes me love living in New York the most is the fact that I'm surrounded by such awesome music. In Brooklyn alone there are many different bands that although have great music, but have little recognition. The brooklyn music scene is booming. I personally listen to many indie  New york -based bands and I find there music the most appealing. These bands go under the radar because the music is deemed "unpopular". The alternative music coming from New York is a mix of all types of musics and people need to give them a chance. I know that when people listen to my ipod they instantly have the same reaction on their face "huh" as to what is this and why do you listen to it. To name a few brooklyn-based bands that I'm particularly fond of are Bear hands Grizzly Bear, Chairlift which you might recognize their song "bruises" from the apple commercial,vampire weekend who gained some notoriety this year with their self-titled debut album, MGMT, The National,White rabbits, Bishop Allen,Tv on the Radio, and two of my favorite bands Matt and Kim and The Virgins who's music is addicting. All of these bands have grown to be staples in my i-pod. music is influenced from all types of music and all eras.Of course these are not the only bands from new york but these are bands who I know produce quality music. The great thing about all these bands is that we live right where their located so anyone is able to go see them perform somewhere like at different venues across N.Y.C and festivals like the Siren festival in Coney Island . All of these bands have a diverse type of music, which I why I like brooklyn music so much because I'm able to so much variety all the while supporting brooklyn. At the end of this blog i hope that people who read this become more accepting of all types of music and not only the songs blasted from and selected by a radio station. I think that if one would take the initiative to give some of these bands a chance and check out their music, they might be pleasantly surprised. I also hope people dig deep for new and different types of music even if not from New York at least a new genre of music because the finds will be well worth it. Whenever i find a song I like it doesn't matter what type of music it is as long as it is pleasing to my ear.

4 comments:

  1. Well Jay I can honestly say I am open to all new ideas. A lot of people stick to their own genre of music and thats a bit sad. When you are open to new music regardless of genre, all the possilbilities are endless. I have heard about MGMT. The only song I have of them in my ipod is "Kids." I did start to search in their Myspace for other songs but never got down to downloading them.
    Its awesome to be able to experience new things, different music sets a different mood. A lot of music relaxes you and your mind. Concerts are definitely a way to hear of new bands that you might have no heard of before. I went to a concert for a band called Jaguares, its spanish rock, and the opening bands were pretty good. I met one of them before the show and was able to stay in contact with them, they later invited me to another concert where I was introduced to another awesome band.
    Its really a great way to experience new things. Music is honestly one of the best things ever created.

    -Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,
    I can say that alot of people do not like to broaden their horizons when it comes to music. They like to only listen to the music that is on our local radio stations and that is it. The generation today needs to open their minds to other types of music and not only to rap and hip-hop. They dont realize all the types of music and all the new bands that are out there. The songs on your I-pod surely suprises people and wonder what the heck is this. I never heard of that band and the music isn't so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Jay, I agree with you because you do have a point where people have there own opinions on music. Alot of people do judge music if its not something they like. For example many kids like hip-hop and hate metal. I understand cause metal is so hardcore and hip-hop is more like rapping. Im the same like that i love hip-hop and hate metal I have no idea why thats just not type of my music. Its a good thing to listen to new muusic and songs but its not always for everyone. Im quite suprised that you listen to that kind of music but thats what you like and I wont judge you by the music you listen to or anyone cause thats them and how they like it.


    -muahh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay,
    Aside from the fact that your music taste is excellent, this is a great blog. I like that you are attempting to expose your classmates to something that you feel passionately about, and I enjoyed your description of the confusion of peoples' faces when they see your music.

    Grade:4/4

    ReplyDelete