Monday, February 23, 2009

Looking For Alaska


Looking For Alaska is a novel by one of my favorite authors John Green. It is told in the first person point of view so one is able to feel the pain, love and lost felt by the main character. The novel is the detailed events of one semester of boarding school experienced by the main character Miles a young teen who finds excitement in remembering the last words spoken by historical figures. Miles is a socially inept teenager who resides in Florida but leaves his old life behind while he enters boarding school. While at boarding school miles meets a girl named alaska. Miles also encounter other character that help to carry the story line. Throughout the novel Miles and Alaska's relationship becomes deeper and deeper and eventually leads to a love felt by miles but unacknowledged by Alaska. In the novel miles also experience the act of fraternizing with roommates and other classmates and teen experimentation with things such as drugs and sex which prove to be a shock to the once sheltered miles. Alaska and Miles share a few romantic moments but none as romantic as the one prior to the climax of the book which i will not spoil because i believe that if one where to know what happened they might never look into actually reading this novel.
    Looking For Alaska is a wonderful novel. It slowly made its way into my best pieces of literature list. The novel is similar to that of John Green the authors life and events as he too went to boarding school and some of the characters are inspired by his friend met in high school.I highly recommend this novel if you like young adult and like to read about people coming to terms with events.  Looking For Alaska made me feel many emotions which is why i love literature because the effect it can have on a person; no matter how big or how little that effect may be any effect makes the reading experience well worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jay. As I was reading your comment I had a huge smile on my face. I am so serious. It is so awesome how I was able to influence someone positively. It is such an amazing thing. I know it may sound funny but the way I felt reading that you were going to attempt becoming vegetarian, the only word I could think of is Unbelievable. I decided to become vegetarian almost two weeks ago. Honestly, I ate fish yesterday. Its a hard goal to achieve. I'm hoping your successful. Other than the tuna I ate, I haven't eaten any other meat at all.
    I wish you the best and hope your successful in your voyage.

    - Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job reviewing this novel without spoiling it. I appreciate that you love literature and reading your blog makes me proud. I'm going to try to check this book out.

    Grade: 4/4

    ReplyDelete