
what do you consider to be art? Webster's dictionary defines art as aesthetic work as painting,sculpture, or music, it does not define how art should be created.I came across a street artist from new york known only as "poster boy". Some might recognize his work. He keeps his identity a secret because his art, although innovative and original is technically illegal. "Poster boy" takes bits and pieces from poster seen in places like the subway and reworks them from the boring mass-produced posters into something unique. The only tools he uses is a razor which he uses to cut out pieces from poster and put them on other posters or object. You could say "oh he should stop because what he's doing is wrong because its defacing property" but in the end he turned that boring poster into something clever and seminal. I think that his work is humorous,enjoyable to look at and sometimes even thought provoking. His art is not just there for enjoyment its a reflection of the feelings people have toward the over exposure to advertisement. if art literally has no boundaries then should artist like "poster boy" be condemned for his work or acknowledged for it?
here is a link to his flickr account which has pictures of all his work:http://www.flickr.com/photos/26296445@N05/


http://nymag.com/arts/art/profiles/50969/
ReplyDeleteGreat Find. Have you seen any of his work? I can't recall if I ever have, but I plan on keeping my eyes peeled now. As a first blog, this is excellent. I like that you included his link. In the future, please expand even further, and document your sources. In addition, make sure you capitalize all of your sentences.
Grade: 4/4
I'm glad to see this. I really wish I could see this kind of work when I'm outside I would probably die laughing at some of it. Street art will probably be the future of art one day especially in the city's. This kind of art is growing. I know many people who love to draw in their books, drawing graffiti like versions of their names in them. They cant actually express themselves because it is illegal. Allot of street art is defacing property but there are allot artists like Poster Boy who just want their art to be seen and what better place than in the public. That is why art is advancing along with our technology. Artists are trying their hardest looking for new ways to express themselves using innovative technology to make things like digital graffiti. I will probably post my own blog elaborating on this but like miss seltzer said I'm going to keep my eyes peeled from now on too.
ReplyDeleteInteresting blog Jay! Poster Boy's art is quite pleasing in appearance but I could understand why most people would condemn his work rather than acknowledge it. Although he is making New York City's subway stations and billboards look artistically interesting, he is considered to be defacing property. That billboard may have been put there for a purpose; to send out a message to society. Poster Boy tears a part of that billboard and the message is no longer apparent. What if a person worked hard to put up that billboard and stood proud looking at his masterpiece, wouldn't he be disappointed if his work is now tainted? For instance, you build a beautiful new house and someone puts graffiti on one side of it, wouldn't you be displeased? I found Poster Boy's work aesthetic and seminal but maybe there are different ways for him to express himself with his art, such as putting up his own billboard with a combination of posters. This way, his art may actually be acknowledged.
ReplyDeleteHello Jay, Thanks for commenting my blog.
ReplyDeleteI never noticed this kind of artwork in the subways. Where its mostly located? I will def. keep my eyes open for the next time and poster boy's artwork is cool. Poster boy must put a lot of his time and effort to make this artwork creative and cool. Thanks for bringing his artwork, because no one has his skills and his artwork should be out more because the definition of artwork is growing and the society in NYC is expanding genre of artwork.
i feel that if someone wants to be creative and there not doing anything to hurt anyone or destroying property then they should do it freely without any interference from anyone . i would like to see some of his work and will look out for it. it sounds different and unique, we should have places for these types of people to be able to let the world know who they are and what they can do.
ReplyDelete